Friday, December 13, 2013

New Apartment Located


I think I found a new place to live.  I found some listings on-line yesterday, and although it doesn't sound like the actual listings that were on the internet were actually what was listed, someone called me back and took me around to look at a couple of places.  So I've got a plan, and it's not even moving day yet, so I'm more ahead of the game than last time!  Although apparently it's not just this current place, EVERYTHING books up for the Christmas season.  I had no idea this many people came to Kampala and rented an apartment for December.

Major advantage of New Apartment:
➤It exists.  They will let us move in.
This was actually up for debate for a while, because after we looked around the apartment and asked all the questions and debated how it would work out, and agreed to the terms, and I said I would take it, the guy said "okay, it's available next Saturday." And the agent and I kind of goggled, because she had called to ask if there were any availabilities NOW and was told yes, but now he was trying to convince us that next Saturday was an excellent time to move in.  Finally he admitted that there was a different apartment but the chairs were in bad shape.  I agreed to move into the apartment with the ugly chairs, rather than camp on the street in the interim.

Major disadvantage of the New Apartment:
➤We have to move into it.  Ugh, ugh, ugh, ugh, ugh.

Other disadvantages:
➤ Not nearly so nice for playing outside.  There is a big brick courtyard and a very tiny lawn area around to the side.  It's also a full-sized apartment complex with 8 or 12 units or something like that.  Now I am questioning my sanity, why I would move into the least-play-able place yet, just when my children will be spending all their time at home.  Looking back at major advantage: it exists, it exists, it exists.
➤ More expensive.  Wait a minute, less play area and more money?  This is not fair.  Really not fair at all.  But it seems like everywhere charges their top rate for December.  It's about twice what I was paying in Ggaba, where we had a nice lawn.
➤ More people in the complex.  I hope they won't be noisy, or all hate my children.  Now I'm going to start having a panic attack.
➤ Stairs.  The apartment is on the second floor, and there are more floors above it.  At least the stairs have railings and seem reasonably sized.  And no stairs inside the apartment.  That also means the children can't go directly outside to play.  It also means there are balconies instead of porches, and I THINK the children can't fall directly off of them, but I'm going to be paranoid about it anyways.

Other advantages:
➤ It's pretty nice inside, with bright airy rooms and nice furniture.  Not nicer than what I have here, but not worse.  And better than most of the other places.
➤ It has three bedrooms.  That means we could divide everyone up like the traditional American way, with girls in one room and boys in another, and parents on their own in the big one. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!  (Everyone will sleep in my room.)
➤ It has a real kitchen.  There are appliances in the kitchen, like -- gasp -- a toaster.  I have not had a proper-sized kitchen since living in Uganda.  The first one was a counter on one side of the main room, and this one has its own room area, but somehow they miniaturized everything in the process.  I have literally about two square feet (not linear feet, square feet) of counter area.  This new one is an actual, genuine kitchen, in its own room, with a square of counters and appliances.  I will appreciate that.  Maybe we'll be able to make dinner together, or do gingerbread houses or something interesting like that.  There is also a tea pot (besides an electric kettle, like a real tea service) and a microwave.
➤ The back-up power actually powers everything: appliances, outlets, lights, everything.  Imagine that!  In the last couple days, I have had several conversations about back-up power as they explain that it only does this or that (like the outlets don't work; what is the point of back-up power if you don't even have one outlet?), and then they explain that "but the power only goes off for a little while, just a few minutes and it comes back on again."  Dude.  I have been living in Kampala for months now.  Yes, sometimes it comes right back on, but we have several days a week when the power is out from mid-morning until dinner time.  It matters if the outlets work.
➤ They have cleaning people who come in daily.  And they guarantee their work; if they cause any problems, the apartment holds itself responsible and will fix it.
➤ It's pretty near where we are now, but on the main road, so it will be more convenient to public transportation and walking places.  It's also near the resort with the gardens and swimming pool, which is the ONE place that I can think of to go for an outing.

And that's all I'm coming up with.  A bunch of little pros, but a couple of really big cons.  I'm really worried about the outdoor space... but I was getting worried about having nowhere to live, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment