Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Little thoughts from our first day

First day
When we landed in Dubai, it was in the 90's at sunset, and the next morning it was even hotter by the time we left at 8 am.  That was a great introduction to the heat in Kampala, which is warm but not blazing.  It is hot in the sun, but our room is pleasant with a fan, and a brisk breeze is blowing.

The city has quite a lot of green in it, and we can see Lake Victoria from our room.  

Emerson keeps waking up too early.  Hopefully soon we will find our body clocks.

I have already found a number of things that I meant to pack, but didn't.  Like my passport pouch.  I did find Emerson's toothpaste, though.  And first thing , something that belonged in my medical kit and I didn't think of.

They do have proper English tea, so I suppose I can tolerate the food if i have nice tea to drink.  The brand is Uganda Tea, which is "new and improved with tags and string!"

We went up to the orphanage yesterday evening.  The children are so longing and desperate for love!  The older ones kept wanting to show me what they could do, and there was always someone leaning on my knees or in my arms.  Emerson showed them how he could hold my hands and I could jump him really high, and all the little children swirled around wanting their turns, including ones who couldn't jump at all.  Their longing for touch and smiles and warmth is just so palpable!  The place seems fairly nice, and the caretakers seem kind to the children, but they have a lot to do.  Whatever the tragedies in their past lives, right now the problem is they just want love and recognition.  However, they we're full of smiles and laughter and helping each other out.

The bugs are really bothering Emerson.  He is trying to find something that will scare the flies away from our table for good, which is a fruitless quest.   Hopefully a few weeks in a tropical country will cure him of worrying about small bugs for life!

My first encounter with racial stereotyping: the girl at the hotel asked if I wanted a small bed for Emerson, and I said we didn't need it (not to mention, it wouldn't fit in the room if I wanted it!).  She replied, "oh, he sleep with you.  You white people, take such GOOD care of your children. ...... Not like us.". (you've just got to imagine the "ba da BUM" drum roll after the final comment.)

It is interesting to me, that I don't feel at all strange being the only white person in sight.  It just feels pleasantly like being back in Asia as a child, like that mental card has just been laying unplayed somewhere inside myself for the last 20 years, and just calmly comes to the forefront again.  In fact, a lot about being here reminds me of certain places in Asia.  Like the way the stores are, and the wonderful English names, like Happy Goodness or something (I'll have to write some down today).  And the slightly British and slightly mumbled and slightly unique English.

The people are very different though.  Everyone moves slowly, as though they were just gently floating through the molasses of life.  And I am absolutely fascinated by the women's hairstyles.

So now we are gearing up to get breakfast at the uninspiring and overpriced hotel restaurant, then start our first full day here.  We will see what today brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment