Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Glimpse of Bedtime


We're back to one-person getting-ready-for-bed routines.  Supposedly, it works like this: I get Buttercup ready while the big kids prepare themselves and Hibiscus gets in the bath, then I put Buttercup on my back to brush Emerson's teeth as Hibiscus gets out of the bath, I run a new bath while she dries off and Emerson undresses, I brush Hibiscus's teeth while Emerson washes himself and then I do his hair while she gets her jammies on and combs her hair.  I can put Buttercup down and set up the bed while Emerson dries and be-jammies himself.  It's a good system because the big kids can do enough for themselves that we can alternate what I do for one while the other one finishes a chore on their own.

Needless to say, it didn't work like that.  They need handlebars so I can drive them to the next station.  The low point was when Emerson was in the bathroom, watching Hibiscus throw water around instead of doing his own chores.  Buttercup was wiggling like an entire batch of popcorn, so it had been quite some work to grab her various bits and put them in her pajamas, when I realized I hadn't put her on the potty.  So I scooped her under one arm, kept her giggling, and popped her on the pot.  At that exact moment, Mr. Standing-around-in-the-bathroom REALLY had to go.  Really REALLY mom!  Right now!  To demonstrate, he pulled his weiner out of his pants.  Look, mom, it's dribbling on the floor, I'm peeing on my own feet, I REALLY have to go!

I have my doubts that the visual aid was necessary.  Especially since Buttercup was actually done by that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment